THE UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS
SCHOOL OF SOCIAL WELFARE
OBJECTIVE: To critically reflect your understanding of the readings and your ability to apply them to your organization.
ASSIGNMENT GUIDELINES (10%):
Students will critically analyze the readings for Sessions Two and Three (Feb. 2 and 9 respectively). This assignment is designed to help you review, critique, and apply the readings to your organization as well as become the foundation for all of your remaining assignments.
You will read the articles (not the book chapters) assigned for class on Feb. 2 and 9, and, using the outline provided, develop a 3-5-page paper reflecting your understanding and ability to apply the readings to your organization. Each paper must be typewritten with 12-point font and double-spaced with standard margins. Follow APA format when referring to the selected articles and include a reference page (not included in page limit).
1. Introduction (25%) Provide a brief synopsis of the meaning (not a description) of each article, in your own words.
2. Your Critique (50%)
- What is your reaction to the content of the articles?
- How do the articles relate to one another?
- What did you learn about diversity orientation?
- What did you learn about your organization?
- Did these articles change your thoughts about your organization and about diversity? If so, how? If not, what remained the same?
3. Conclusion (15%)
- Briefly summarize your thoughts & conclusion to your critique of the articles.
- How did these articles impact your thoughts on diversity and on your organization?
Evaluation will be based on how clearly you respond to the above, in particular:
a) The clarity with which you critique the articles;
b) The depth, scope, and organization of your paper; and,
c) Your conclusions, including a description of the impact of these articles on your organization.
ASSIGNMENT DUE DATE:
The assignment is to be electronically posted in the Digital Drop Box on Blackboard no later than noon on February 2 and February 9. Please make sure that you "Send" your assignment; if you only "Add" the assignment, I will not be able to retrieve it. Once graded, I will post your assignment in the Digital Drop Box and then send an e-mail indicating that your graded paper is posted.