Anonymous responses from first assignment, MUS 211 Fall 2016
7 responses (of 15 students)
In the design of this assignment, I tried to get you to listen to the piece before completing the analysis.
1. Did you actually follow these directions and listen to the piece before completing the analysis?
6 yes, 1 no
2. If yes, did it change your analysis in any way? (make it easier/harder, clarify a specific passage or question, make the task more/less enjoyable…)
- more enjoyable x2
- helped answer questions on assignment x3 (e.g. cadence locations x2, the why of composer's choices)
- musical features easier to hear x2 (rhythm, key, tonic, phrases)
- helped with RN analysis
- made me pay more attention/feel "paranoid"—but this seemed to be a good thing, like it held the student more accountable or kept them focused
3. If no, why didn't you?
- only free time to do assignment was when student couldn't use headphones
4. Please circle the description below that best matches your typical approach to listening in music analysis:
I rarely listen to the piece I have to analyze 1
I sometimes listen to the piece I have to analyze 3
I often listen to the piece I have to analyze 2
I almost always listen to the piece I have to analyze 1
5. Any additional comments?
student struggles to hear some musical concepts; easier to see them in the music