THE UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS
SCHOOL OF SOCIAL WELFARE
OBJECTIVE: Using chapter 13 from the Kettner text, to critically evaluate and revise your organization's current performance appraisals.
ASSIGNMENT GUIDELINES (10%):
1) You are expected to critically evaluate the performance appraisal process for a specific job within your organization and revise the process based on the job analysis and description. You are encouraged to choose a job that had a job analysis completed earlier in the semester.
2) Develop an 8-10-page paper not including references, charts, or a cover page. It must be typewritten and follow APA format (12-point font, double-spaced, standard margins) and include proper references when appropriate.
3) Organize the various parts of your paper with the section headings provided (headings are identified in bold). Be sure you answer all subsections of each heading. Use chapters 13 from the Kettner book.
1. Critique of Current Appraisal Process (25%)
- Review the performance appraisal process for a current position.
- What are the strengths & limitations to the process?
- What are some suggestions for improvements given by other staff (both line and supervisory staff)?
- How does the process compare to other agencies? Specifically compare to at least 2 other settings that provide similar services.
- How does the process relate to the organizational climate?
- How does this process take diversity into consideration?
2. Create a Performance Appraisal (35%)
- Revise or re-create the performance appraisal process. Justify your decisions based on your critique and on the literature.
- Include a performance appraisal policy that makes clear the expectations for completing an appraisal including:
- What is the process for completing an appraisal? How often does the process occur? Who initiates the process? What type of instrument did you choose? Who completes the forms? What is the appeal process? How did you attach the process to rewards?
- Include a sample form as an attachment.
3. Critique of the Revised Process (20%)
- Review the revised performance appraisal process.
- What are the strengths & limitations to the new process?
- What are some thoughts and suggestions for improvements given by other staff (both line and supervisory staff)?
- How does the new process relate to the organizational climate?
- How does this new process take diversity into consideration?
4. Conclusion (10%)
- Briefly summarize your thoughts & conclusion to this assignment.
- How did this analysis impact your overall learning?
- How did this assignment help you in relation to the course readings and materials?
Evaluation will be based on how clearly you respond to the above, in particular:
a) The clarity with which you introduce and describe the job analysis and other key components of this assignment; and
b) Your conclusions, including a description of your overall learning and its relation to the course readings and material.
ASSIGNMENT DUE DATE:
The assignment is to be electronically posted in the Digital Drop Box on Blackboard no later than noon on either April 27 or May 4; a sign-up sheet will be distributed in class for you to decide your due date. Please make sure that you "Send" your assignment; if you only "Add" the assignment, I will not be able to retrieve it. Once graded, I will post your assignment in the Digital Drop Box and then send an e-mail indicating that your graded paper is posted.