Building KU's Teaching and Learning Community

Enrollment, Attendance & Withdrawal

Students heading to strong hall

Course enrollment

Enroll & Pay

Enroll & Pay is the name of KU’s student information computer system. It’s also known as SAKU. Use your Outlook sign on to find the Faculty Center on Enroll & Pay. If you have questions about the system, contact the Information Technology help desk at (785) 864-0200 or take a look at the Enroll & Pay tutorials.

Class rosters

There are two types of class rosters available to faculty at KU:

Credit/No Credit

Undergraduates seeking the credit/no credit grading option for semester-long courses must register their choice in their Dean’s Office during the 21st through the 30th instructional days of the semester. A student may select this option only once during the semester, and the selected class cannot be in his or her declared major. The grade of CR (credit) will be received for grades of A, B, or C. The grade of NC (no credit) will be received for grades D or F. The instructor will not be informed when a student has chosen this option and will assign a conventional letter grade, which will then be converted by the Office of the University Registrar to CR or NC as appropriate. Courses graded CR or NC will not count in computing the grade point average but will be included in the total hours counted toward graduation (see University Senate Rules and Regulations

Attendance at classes, studios, and labs
University Senate Rules and Regulations 1.4 state the following regarding attendance and exams:

  • Examinations and tests other than final examinations should not be scheduled in conflict with mandated religious observances. In order to ascertain in a given class if a scheduled examination conflicts with a mandated religious observance, at the beginning of the semester the instructor shall ask students who may be affected to identify themselves privately so that a make-up examination may be scheduled at a mutually acceptable time.
  • Students with a verifiable medical crisis of a relative or friend may be excused from being present for scheduled examinations and tests. It is the responsibility of the student to initiate discussion with the instructor, prior to the examination/test if possible. The instructor and student shall come to a mutually agreeable method of making up the missed work.

For more information about attendance, see this topic under Motivating Students.

Withdrawing from courses


The withdrawal period is divided into three segments. During Period 1 (first 15 instructional days of a semester, or first seven instructional days of a summer session), students may withdraw from a course by canceling enrollment in it. The course won’t appear on the student’s official record.

During Period 2 (beginning the 16th instructional day through the 60th instructional day of a semester or the eighth instructional day through the 30th instructional day of summer session), a student seeking to withdraw from a course must first obtain a schedule change form signed by the instructor (or designee) and, if required, the student’s school. A student who withdrawals during Period 2 will receive the grade of a W.  This grade will go on the student’s academic record but will not be factored into the grade point average.

During Period 3 (beginning the 61st instructional day through the last day of classes for the semester or the 31st instructional day through the last day of classes for the summer session), a student cannot withdraw from a course. The course grade will be determined by the student’s overall academic performance.

After a student completes a course and a grade has been assigned, including an Incomplete if appropriate, retroactive withdrawal from the class isn’t allowed, except in accordance with USSR 2.3.3.

For complete information about the withdrawal policy, see USSR 2.2.5.

Administrative drops:

In general, students are required to drop class(es) themselves. However, the Office of the University Registrar can process administrative drops when departments publish conditions and circumstances under which an administrative drop will be pursued in the Schedule of Classes for each semester, or departments request an administrative drop when a student hasn’t met published requirements for a particular class or course of study.

Only one faculty/staff person per department should be delegated to submit administrative drop requests. Departments are responsible for attempting to contact students for notification of administrative drops. Refunds may be awarded if the administrative drop is requested during a refund period. The amount of the refund is determined by the date of the request to the Registrar.

^Back to top^